Roles and Responsibilities
Hold 3-4 open gyms for 4th and 5th graders only. This gives the girls a chance to try volleyball in a non-competitive format. This needs to be done before fall registration is complete.
- Send Volleyball Camp information to families.
- Attend Diocese VB League Meeting around June 8-15. A coach or representative should attend. They will go over new rules and layout the registration process.
- Contact the gym coordinator to gain access to the gym, equipment room and concession stand.
- Obtain the roster of girls trying out from the SAAA secretary.
- Confirm Coaches and make sure they are compliant with Diocese guidelines
- Pick a Saturday in September to hold JV Tournament (usually the week or 2 after Harvest Home) and do the following:
- Get a registration form to the diocese to distribute.
- 5th and 6th grade parents are to coordinate the tournament (not the coaches). Assign parents.
- Attend a Coaches meeting put on by the SAAA.
- Get a final list of the the girls that registered from the SAAA. Ensure new families are accounted for.
- Based on the number of girls registered, determine the number of teams and ensure they are all registered with the diocese.
- Deadline for registration changes each year however it is typically around August 1st.
- Reach out to the Gym coordinator for the following information:
- Play day and time for each team.
- Black-out dates that the Ryan Center is not available.
- Prepare the registration form and record the game day and time along with the black-out dates. LIST ALL DATES EVEN IF YOU EXCEED THE MAXIMUM DATES ALLOWED.
- Hold Open Gyms (3-4 nights) around the 3rd or 4th week of July.
- Hold a minimum of two Tryouts (2 for JV and 2 for varsity) the last week of July or the 1st week in August.
- After teams are picked each coach needs to hold a Parents Meeting and a board member needs to be present. Be sure to review the parent meeting agenda created for you by the SAAA and edit as necessary.
- Practices the 3-4 weeks before school starts are generally held on Monday – Thursday evenings. Reach out to the gym coordinator to ensure the time can be reserved.
- Once school starts, practice is 2 times per week (usually Tuesday and Thursday). Again request the time from the Gym Coordinator.
- Assign gym duties to all girls (Swiffering, cleaning lockers and lobby). Swiffering must be done prior to and after each practice.
- You will receive game schedules around August 15-20.
- Review schedule for any conflicts, communicate gym needs to gym coordinator and provide the information to the parents.
- Have parents setup “parent duties” for each home game (door, 50/50, concession, score keeping, clock, line judge)
- Hold a “how to keep score” clinic for parents and any 7th or 8th grader.
- Each team can sign up for 2 tournaments – start looking for them (Bishop Canevin, North Catholic, Oakland Catholic, etc.) Double check with parents to make sure the team is available to play.
- Make sure all coaches are familiar with the gym operations (locking and unlocking the front doors, opening concession stand, turning off lights, location of ice packs, etc)
- Once home games are finalized, request checks from Treasurer for the referees for the entire season. It is the job of each coach to keep the money and pay the refs at each home game. ($35/game)
- A parent can coordinate buying socks for all of the girls. This can be optional and the parents are responsible for purchasing them. (this is not the job of a coach.)
- Once teams are picked, submit rosters to the diocese.
By mid-August the JV tournament should have 8 teams signed up to play and the “business Ads” and “Personal Ads” should be distributed to parents.
- Send weekly emails to parents about what is scheduled for the coming week (practice, games, tournaments).
- For home games, the coach is responsible for emailing or calling in the final scores within 24 hours.
Pick a date for 8th grade recognition and make sure the 8th graders can come.
- Let the Board know if you make the playoffs and when and where each game is so that information can be communicated to the school.
Remind JV coaches to set a date for their end of the season team parties. They will need to contact gym coordinator to use the gym.
- Prior to one of your last home games schedule an 8th grade recognition. Here is some information about this process.
- Communicate to the team when the 8th grade recognition is. Ask for a parent volunteer to coordinate the process.
- Have the parent volunteer coordinate the following:
- The 7th graders should make some signs to be posted at the venue to recognize each player.
- Purchase a carnation or a rose for each player to be handed to them during the ceremony.
- Purchase balloons so that each 8th grader and their parent can walk through.
- Send out an email with a list of questions that each 8th grader must answer and return to the coach. A list of these questions can be found HERE.
- At the recognition, introduce each player and their parents one at a time. Have them come forward to accept the flower and walk towards the spectators. At this time the coach should be reading the answers to the questions the 8th grader previously provided.
- It is the coaches option to introduce or not introduce the 8th graders from the other team, however the SAAA does NOT reimburse the cost of flowers for the visiting team and therefore does not recommend that they are provided.
- Let the SAAA know if any Diocesan or Section Championships where won so the banners can be updated.
- Give any Section or Diocesan Championship trophies to the SAAA to be included in the trophy case. A plaque with the winning names and the coaches maybe added (if they are not already on the trophy) at the SAAA expense. Keep it under $20.
- Send an email to all volleyball players to have them return their uniform to the school office. Give them 10 days to do so. Remind them to have it cleaned and put into a zip lock bag with their name on it.
- Take the rest of the year off and THANK YOU!!!!!!!